This course presents the knowledge and skills to successfully design a cloud infrastructure that supports multiple types of services. The course takes an “open” approach and outlines infrastructure, application platform, and cloud management platform as the fundamental layers in a cloud. It explores the business needs and challenges that have led the organization to adopt a cloud solution. This course highlights the benefits, challenges, and considerations of design choices and emphasizes the importance of proper requirements gathering in the design process. Additionally, students are provided with opportunities to practice these new skills while performing exercises and labs. This course prepares the student for the Dell EMC ProvenTM Professional Cloud Architect certification exam.
Who should attend
This course is intended for architects, designers, and consultants who are involved in the planning and design of cloud infrastructure components.
Students are expected to be technical professionals with three or more years of design experience in storage, operating systems, virtualization, networking, business continuity, or disaster recovery.
Recommended prerequisites include: Dell EMC Information Storage and Management, Dell EMC Cloud Infrastructure and Services, VMware Certified Professional (VCP) and Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).
Upon successful completion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Apply relevant design processes and techniques when producing an effective cloud infrastructure design.
- Create a cloud infrastructure design that addresses business requirements and constraints that were identified during an assessment.
- Communicate the benefits, challenges, and considerations of various cloud-enabling technologies as well as their relevance in meeting a business requirement or constraint.
- Develop a cloud infrastructure design that includes components such as cloud management, application platform, consumer resources, hybrid and multicloud capabilities, and disaster recovery.
The content of this course is designed to support the course objectives.
Module: Introduction to Cloud Design
- Driving digital transformation through cloud
- Cloud infrastructure design approach, goals, and scope
- Cloud solution design project lifecycle
Module: Design Parameters
- Cloud reference architecture
- General design considerations for cloud infrastructure
Module: Data Collection and Analysis
- Data collection process and metrics
- Data collection tools
- Business value analysis
- TCO and ROI
Module: Architecting a Do-It-Yourself Solution
- Selection criteria
- Compute considerations
- Storage considerations
- Network considerations
Module: Architecting a CI/HCI Solution
- CI/HCI selection criteria
- Strategies and design considerations
Module: Cloud Management Platform (CMP)
- CMP reference architecture
- CMP infrastructure
- Selection criteria for CMP
- CMP design considerations
Module: Hybrid and Multicloud
- Hybrid and multicloud use cases
- Design considerations for hybrid and multicloud
- Disaster recovery considerations
Module: Application Development and Deployment Platform
- Key requirements for application platform
- Options to build an application platform
- Design considerations for Do-It-Yourself
- Design considerations for using PaaS solution
In addition to lecture, this course includes case studies, exercises and labs designed to allow practical experience for the participant.